Rochester Institute of TechnologyRIT Home   A-Z Site Index  Infocenter/SIS  RIT Directories RIT Search

Saunders College Quicklinks:  SCB Blogs | Undergraduate | Graduate | Executive | Alumni |

Computers, they don’t make them like they use too!

Every once in a while, I am asked “which computer should I buy?” My response used to be go with a Dell, IBM or Compaq. Today, I now usually recommend, get a good warranty. I may still be new to computers compared to some of my colleagues, but in the past 12 years I have been working extensively with them, I have noticed a decline in their quality. I really think that manufactures are now cutting costs by putting out cheaper equipment and betting on customers not purchasing extended warranties.

In the more than 8 years I have worked at the COB, I have noticed our newer servers have a much higher failure rate than our older servers. This is not just exclusive to the COB. Other RIT departments have reported an increase in hardware failures with their newer equipment. Are manufactures cutting costs to the point where they are putting inferior components into their computers?

This makes me wonder if the manufactures are trying to make computers a throw away commodity. We purchase a computer that lasts about two to three years rather than one lasting five to six years. This means we are purchasing computers more often. Are the manufactures making more money with this methodology despite the fact that computer prices have fallen in recent years? Is this hurting the computer industry by creating less reliable systems that are used for everything from writing a paper to running a corporation? What do you think?

Bookmark and Share

One Response to “Computers, they don’t make them like they use too!”

1. ashea on February 9th, 2008 11:13 pm

Have you seen “The Story of Stuff” yet? Check it out at http://storyofstuff.com/

I believe it speaks to some of your questions.

I don’t think disposable computers are hurting the industry because we have created a situation where it doesn’t matter how poor the quality is, we have bought into this culture of computers so much that it would devastate us to not use them. We’ll get frustrated and lament the state of affairs and wax nostalgic for the good ol’ days, then we’ll walk right in and buy a brand new disposable computer because we spilled coffee on the last one.

If quality were of concern to this culture, we’d shoot our televisions at the annual block party.