Rochester Institute of TechnologyRIT Home   A-Z Site Index  Infocenter/SIS  RIT Directories RIT Search

Saunders College Quicklinks:  SCB Blogs | Undergraduate | Graduate | Executive | Alumni |

Pollution

Normally I write about technology, but after coming back from a vacation, I wanted to write about something I was shocked to see. I recently went to Maine to enjoy a much needed vacation. While on a whale watching trip, I was amazed as to how much garbage I saw floating in the ocean. Everything from balloons, coffee cups, milk jugs to even used diapers. I’ve seen plenty of garbage on the sides of streets, but I just couldn’t believe I was seeing this stuff 25 miles off shore in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

I personally try to recycle as much as possible and use as little energy possible. I even unplug any power adapters when I’m not using them as they still draw power. I have always been someone that thinks we need to take care of our environment because when it is gone, it is gone. After seeing what I have saw, it just made me realize that everyone, including myself, need to do more. There is no reason I should have seen this stuff floating in the middle of the Atlantic. Maine does an excellent job at keeping their state clean. It makes me wonder about other states and other parts of the world. Are people really doing what is necessary to help clean the environment or are they just taking the attitude of ignorance? “I don’t see it so it doesn’t affect me.”

All I can say is that this event was a real eye opener for me. I certainly hope that more people take a closer look as to what is really happening to our planet and start making an effort before it is too late. Which someone people think it may already be too late.

Bookmark and Share

3 Responses to “Pollution”

1. Caribbean Social Network on August 17th, 2008 1:13 pm

Pollution is out of control. The problem with man is man. We have to take responsibilty for our actions. Al Gore is on point. I live in the Caribbean and there are some places they wont show on the travel channel. The whole world is infected. I am hopefull that it will turn around.

Dr. Knox Crosdale

2. Sandy on August 28th, 2008 2:19 pm

Nice post..Its amazing how much garbage there is out there!

3. Shirley on September 4th, 2008 9:20 am

Dave, Thanks for sharing this information. That is simply disgusting! We must keep our waters pristine. Plastics – a miracle material – yeah, right!